Students who have borrowed a Federal Perkins, Federal Stafford or Federal Graduate PLUS Loan are required to complete Exit Counseling shortly before graduating, leaving school, or dropping below half-time status.
Federal Perkins Loan Borrowers
Federal Perkins Loan borrowers use ECSI to complete the Exit Counseling requirement.
Federal Direct Stafford and/or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Borrowers
If you borrowed a Federal Direct Stafford and/or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan while at UConn, you must complete Exit Counseling online through http://studentloans.gov. One exit counseling session will satisfy the requirements for both of these loan types.
To complete exit counseling, you will need:
- 20-30 minutes to complete
- Your Federal Student Aid PIN (if you do not have a Federal Student Aid PIN, visit www.pin.ed.gov).
Helpful Hints for Completing Counseling:
At the end of the counseling session, you will be asked for information that will be included as part of your federal student loan records. You must provide the following:
- Your next of kin
- Two references who live in the U.S.
- Your future employer (if known)
Click here to begin Federal Direct Exit Counseling
Sign into StudentLoans.gov using your Federal Student Aid PIN.
- Select “Complete Counseling” on the left-hand navigation bar
- Select “Exit Counseling” under “Choose Counseling Type”
- Select University of Connecticut’s School Code “00141700”(this includes School of Law and School of Social Work students). IMPORTANT: Our office will not receive confirmation of your exit counseling completion for any school codes other than the main code of 00141700.
Be sure to print the confirmation page you receive at the end of the online counseling session for your records.
If you have any questions regarding exit counseling, you may contact our office via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (860) 486-2819.