Types of Aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) awards financial aid packages to those applicants for whom an official Federal Need Analysis has been performed. Utilizing both need-based and non-need based funding sources, financial aid packages are provided as a means of mitigating the costs associated with attending the University of Connecticut. Package amounts and composition are based upon several factors, including an applicant’s application filing date and relative financial need, funding limitations imposed by various financial aid programs, and the extent to which funding is available.

Financial assistance is provided in the form of:


Scholarships are merit-based or need-based monetary awards that may range from paying a portion of your tuition to fully funding the costs associated with your college education. Scholarships do not need to be repaid. Additional information about UConn’s Merit Scholarships is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Learn More


Grants are gift aid from federal, state, or university sources. They are awarded to students on the basis of need, and they do not need to be repaid. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for grant awards.

Learn More


Federal Education Loans are low-interest loans that must be repaid with interest. To be considered, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Learn More

Student Employment

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program for students who demonstrate financial need. Work-Study funds are limited and offered to eligible students based on financial need and in order of application filing date.

Students are responsible for securing their own work-study job. Unlike other forms of financial aid, an FWS award is not applied to a student’s fee bill. Instead, students will receive a biweekly paycheck for hours worked. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)and indicate that you are interested in be considered for Work-Study to be considered for Federal Work-Study.

Student Labor is the other student employment program available to UConn students. This is a work program for on-campus jobs where the student does not have to have financial need to qualify.

Any student wishing to work on campus may apply for a Student Labor position. The actual jobs under Student Labor and Work-Study are the same. The difference between these two programs is the funding source for your salary. Work-Study funding comes from the federal government while Student Labor positions are funded by the departments that employ you.

Learn More

Generally, a combination of funds from these different sources comprises a financial aid package. Financial aid packages are revised annually and may not meet your full financial need. Many students work summers or seek other funding opportunities to meet remaining financial need.