Office of Student Financial Aid COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

Current students: I am experiencing extreme financial hardship, does the University have any resources to assist me?

Students who are facing unexpected financial hardship due to COVID-19 are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid Services at Our office will work to determine what, if any, supplemental financial support may be provided, or may refer students to Students First Fund, which is administered by the Dean of Students office.

I have been laid off due to COVID-19, do I qualify for any type of special circumstance to have my financial aid offer adjusted?

For incoming students beginning at the University in 2020-2021, you are encouraged to email our office at: A financial aid counselor will review requests to determine if a special circumstance appeal will be granted for the 2020-2021 academic year. Our office will begin providing financial aid offers in early to mid-April for current students.  Please contact our office at after you have received your financial aid offer to discuss your circumstances.

Will there be a refund for housing and meals?

The Board of Trustees met on March 25th to determine how fee bills will be impacted due to this unprecedented emergency closing. Please visit: for information. Please note, this will take several weeks to work out the details however, the Office of the Bursar is working as quickly as possible to post the credits on student accounts. Please check their website at for updates.

Will enrollment deposits be waived?

Students are encouraged to email the Office of Undergraduate Admissions with their request:

Our student employees cannot work, are we able to pay them?

Due to the unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 situation, and the financial hardship the lack of ability to work places on students, the University is allowing supervisors the option to continue to pay students their regularly scheduled hours from Saturday, March 14 through April 5th. This is consistent with the US Department of Education’s guidance on paying Federal Work Study participants for the same reasons.

Starting April 6th, departments should return to standard practice in paying student labor for hours worked. The University will continue to payout Federal Work Study, in alignment with earlier guidance.

Are student employees able to file for unemployment compensation?

According to the Connecticut Department of Labor’s Employers Guide to Unemployment Compensation (www.employers_guide_to_unemployment_compensation)--“service performed in any calendar quarter in the employ of a school, college or university by a student who is enrolled and is attending classes at such school on a regular basis” is excluded from coverage.  Decisions on eligibility are determined by the Department of Labor (DOL).  Information on how to file for Unemployment, as well as frequently asked questions can be found on the DOL website

Coronavirus and Forbearance Information for Students, Borrowers, and Parents:

Please visit Federal Student Aid’s website for information pertaining to loan forbearance at