Special Cases and Requests

Outside Resources

The award amounts indicated on the Award Summary page represent the amount of financial aid currently being offered to you. Should you receive any resources not indicated on your award summary page, such as scholarships, grants, veteran’s benefits, tuition waivers or fellowships, it is your responsibility to notify the OSFAS immediately. The financial aid amounts are subject to revision or cancellation as additional information is received by our office. If you take a leave of absence and were awarded a scholarship by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, please notify the OSFAS in writing.

When a student receives an outside scholarship they need to fax a copy to the Financial Aid Office at 860-486-6629 and the Bursar Office at 860-486-5234. The student should then access the Student Administration System and complete a Title IV waiver. This will allow the Bursar Office to defer payment on the scholarship until the funds arrive. When faxing forms to the University be sure to include student name and Student ID. If you should have further questions feel free to contact our office.

Students on Co-op

Students participating in the Cooperative Education Program will not be eligible for financial aid, including scholarships and work-study, during the semester of their work assignment. Co-op students who are also enrolled for credits may be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loan and Federal Pell Grants depending on enrollment status.

Second Degree Students

Full-time students pursuing a second undergraduate degree will be considered for Federal Direct Stafford Loan and Work-Study Program funds. Part-time students pursuing a second undergraduate degree will be considered for Federal Direct Stafford Loan.

Active Duty Military

It is the goal of the University of Connecticut to make the transition to active duty as easy as possible, and proceed in a way that is most beneficial to students. Because every student’s situation is unique, each student will be handled on a case by case basis. Additional information is available at: http://bursar.uconn.edu/military-leave-2/.

Federal Loan Benefits

Effective August 14, 2008, the Servicemember Civil Relief Act caps the maximum interest that may be charged on Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans, and Federal PLUS Loans first disbursed after July 1, 2008 to six percent (6%) during the borrower’s (and endorser’s, if applicable) active duty military service. Borrowers must contact the loan holder in writing to request the interest rate adjustment and provide a copy of the borrower’s (and endorser’s if applicable) military orders. This request may be submitted via e-mail and should include a scanned copy of the orders attached to that email request.  Federal loan borrowers should review the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to identify the servicer for each of their loans.  Contact information for the federal loan servicers is available in NSLDS as well.

New GI Bill Benefits

Please visit http://www.GIBill.va.gov for up-to-date information on education benefits.

Residency Status Change For Veterans

Certain qualifying out-of-state veterans and their dependents are charged in-state tuition instead of out-of-state tuition. Students or dependents who qualify for this benefit will have their Cost of Attendance Budget and Financial Aid Package updated upon notification from the UConn Veterans Affairs office.

Cancelling Enrollment

Students who cancel their enrollment for the fall semester will have their original financial aid awards, including scholarships, cancelled for the year.
For students who return for the spring semester, eligibility for spring financial aid will be re-evaluated based on spring admission status, enrollment status, partial year attendance and the availability of funds.