Student Status

Residency Status

Residency status for incoming freshmen and transfer students is determined by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the time of acceptance. Residency for continuing undergraduate students may be changed through an appeal process administered by the Dean of Students Office (DOS). Residency for graduate students is determined by the Graduate School.

Residency Status Change For Veterans

Certain qualifying out-of-state veterans and their dependents are charged in-state tuition instead of out-of-state tuition. Students or dependents who qualify for this benefit will have their Cost of Attendance Budget and Financial Aid Package updated upon notification from the UConn Veterans Affairs office.

Housing Status

Students who live in and pay rent for an off-campus apartment may use their financial aid to assist with living expenses. Students who live in the Hilltop or Charter Oak Apartments are considered to be living on-campus. Our office assumes that in-state dependent students who attend regional campuses are living with their parents and out-of-state students attending a regional campus are living off-campus, not with parents, unless otherwise notified.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The University of Connecticut is required via federal regulation to establish a reasonable satisfactory academic progress (SAP) policy to determine whether an otherwise eligible student is making SAP in his or her educational program.

Financial Aid Programs Governed by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Students who are found to be in violation of the parameters set forth by the SAP policy are ineligible to receive the following forms of federal, state, and institutional financial aid:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Work-Study(FWS)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Direct Student Loan
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
  • University grant programs
  • State grant programs
  • Certain alternative loans (see each lender’s website for more details)

These guidelines do not apply to private scholarships, tuition waivers, some University departmental scholarships, or student labor earnings.  Merit Scholarships have their own set of academic standards.

A full description of the SAP policy can be found at

Academic Engagement

The Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) is required to monitor grades in order to ensure that recipients of federal student aid complete the credits for which their aid was awarded. Students who do not earn any credits in a given semester are required to demonstrate academic engagement by verifying their participation in an academically-related activity at the university.

Students may demonstrate participation in an academically-related activity by submitting documentation from at least one course taken (in the semester in which credits were not earned).

A full description of the Academic Engagement Policy can be found:

Grade Level Progression

If you were a freshman or sophomore during the current academic year, your financial aid awards for the upcoming academic year are based on anticipated progression to sophomore or junior status for the upcoming academic year. Once final spring grades have been posted, your actual grade level will be determined. Your awards are subject to revision if grade level progression did not occur. Loan amounts are based on earned credits. If there are adjustments to your total number of earned credits based on repeat rules or credit restrictions, your loan amount may be reduced.

Cancelling Enrollment

Students who cancel their enrollment for the fall semester will have their original financial aid awards, including scholarships, cancelled for the year. For students who return for the spring semester, eligibility for spring financial aid will be re-evaluated based on spring admission status, enrollment status, partial year attendance and the availability of funds.