Summer 2019 Financial Aid
The Summer 2019 financial aid awarding process will begin in April 2019.
Students must be in compliance with the University of Connecticut’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy to be eligible for federal financial aid for the summer. Satisfactory Academic Progress will be evaluated in May 2019.
If you plan to take summer courses at UConn during the 2019 Summer Session, and wish to be considered for financial aid, the following items are required:
- A valid 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (http://fafsa.ed.gov) – to be considered for Federal Pell Grant, Federal PLUS Loan, or any remaining Federal Direct Student Loan eligibility.
(Please note, to be considered for remaining Federal Direct Student Loan eligibility, Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits and Graduate level students a minimum of 4.5 credits.)
- A completed online loan application (available via gov) – if applying for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS or Graduate PLUS Loan.
- A Private (Alternative) Loan application submitted directly to the lender of your choice – if applying for a Private (Alternative) Loan.
Students who exhaust their annual Pell Grant eligibility (100%), may be eligible for additional Pell Grant during a subsequent term within the same academic year, based on their enrollment. In order for students to be deemed eligible for additional Pell, they must be enrolled for, and begin, at least six (6) credits in the given term. Students who meet the qualification for additional Pell may receive up to 50% of their annual Pell Grant eligibility in the subsequent term (based on enrollment)
Additional information is available for students enrolled in the Three Summers Program, Teacher Certification Program for College Graduates (TCPCG) Program, and the School of Social Work Advanced Standing Graduate Degree Program.
The last day to accept Federal loans for summer is Wednesday August 22, 2019.
Types of Summer Financial Aid
The following types of financial aid are available for Summer 2019:
- Summer Federal Direct Student Loan – Eligibility is based on the previous fall/spring borrowing and annual loan limits per grade level.
|Grade Level||Annual Loan Total – Dependent Student|
|Freshman (0-23 credits)||$3,500 / year subsidized loan, $2,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Sophomore (24-53 credits)||$4,500 / year subsidized loan, $2,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Junior (54 + credits)||$5,500 / year subsidized loan, $2,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Grade Level||Annual Loan Total – Independent Student|
|Freshman (0-23 credits)||$3,500 / year subsidized loan, $6,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Sophomore (24-53 credits)||$4,500 / year subsidized loan, $6,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Junior (54 + credits)||$5,500 / year subsidized loan, $7,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Graduate Student||$20,500 / year unsubsidized loan|
- Summer Federal Direct Graduate or Parent PLUS Loan– Credit check conducted by lender to establish eligibility, loan limits based on summer cost of attendance.
- Summer Private (Alternative) Loan– When applying for a summer private (alternative) loan, use the summer loan period of 5/13/2019– 8/23/2019 on your application. To ensure the timely certification and disbursement of your loan request, you are encouraged to apply for a private (alternative) loan by at least 30 days prior to your Fee bill due date.
- Federal Pell Grants– Federal Pell Grants are based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated on your 2018-2019 FAFSA and your summer enrollment. Pell Grants will be automatically awarded to eligible undergraduate students. To ensure Federal Pell Grant eligibility, the OSFAS will confirm your enrollment at the end of each summer term in which you are registered. If half time enrollment (6 credits) is not confirmed by the fixed enrollment date (July 19, 2019), your Federal Pell Grant will be cancelled.
Students enrolled in Summer Sessions will have their aid disbursed on the first day of the first session they are enrolled in. Refund checks will be available after disbursement.
All summer charges that have been billed when aid is disbursed, regardless of due date, will be paid prior to the issuance of any refunds. Please plan accordingly.
Fixed Enrollment Date
Your enrollment will be verified before your loan funds (if awarded) are disbursed. Your final enrollment will be confirmed on July 19, 2019. Your financial aid package is subject to revision if your enrollment on this date is different from the enrollment on which your financial aid was originally based.