Summer 2017 Financial Aid
The Summer 2017 financial aid awarding process will begin in April 2017.
Students must be in compliance with the University of Connecticut’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy to be eligible for Federal financial aid for the summer. Satisfactory Academic Progress will be evaluated in May, 2017.
If you plan to take summer courses at UConn during the 2017 summer session, and wish to be considered for financial aid, the following items are required:
- A valid 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (http://fafsa.ed.gov) – to be considered for Federal Pell Grant, Federal PLUS Loan, or any remaining Federal Stafford Loan eligibility.
(Please note, to be considered for remaining Federal Student Loan eligibility, student’s must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits)
- A summer financial aid application (available via the Student Administration System on Tuesday March 21, 2017) – to be considered for remaining Federal Pell Grant, Federal PLUS Loan, or any remaining Federal Stafford Loan eligibility.
- A completed online application (available via studentloans.gov) – if applying for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS or Graduate PLUS Loan.
- A Private (Alternative) Loan application submitted directly to the lender of your choice – if applying for a Private (Alternative) Loan.
Additional information is available for students enrolled in the Three Summers Program, TCPCG Program, and the School of Social Work Advanced Standing Graduate Degree Program.
The last day to accept Federal loans for summer is Wednesday August 23, 2017.
Types of Summer Financial Aid
The following types of financial aid are available for Summer 2017:
- Summer Federal Direct Stafford Loan – Eligibility is based on the previous fall/spring borrowing and annual loan limits per grade level.
|Grade Level||Annual Loan Total – Dependent Student|
|Freshman (0-23 credits)||$3,500 / year subsidized loan, $2,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Sophomore (24-53 credits)||$4,500 / year subsidized loan, $2,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Junior (54 + credits)||$5,500 / year subsidized loan, $2,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Grade Level||Annual Loan Total – Independent Student|
|Freshman (0-23 credits)||$3,500 / year subsidized loan, $6,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Sophomore (24-53 credits)||$4,500 / year subsidized loan, $6,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Junior (54 + credits)||$5,500 / year subsidized loan, $7,000 unsubsidized loan|
|Graduate Student||$20,500 / year unsubsidized loan|
- Summer Federal Direct Graduate or Parent PLUS Loan – Credit check conducted by lender to establish eligibility, loan limits based on summer cost of attendance.
- Summer Private (Alternative) Loan – When applying for a summer private (alternative) loan, use the summer loan period of 5/08/2017– 8/25/2017 on your application. To ensure the timely certification and disbursement of your loan request, you are encouraged to apply for a private (alternative) loan by 08/01/2017.
- Federal Pell Grants – Federal Pell Grants are based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated on your 2016-2017 FAFSA and your summer enrollment. Pell Grants will be automatically awarded to eligible undergraduate students.
Students enrolled in Summer Sessions will have their aid disbursed on the first day of the first session they are enrolled in. Refund checks will be available after disbursement.
All summer charges that have been billed when aid is disbursed, regardless of due date, will be paid prior to the issuance of any refunds. Please plan accordingly.