Impact to Cost of Attendance (COA)

There are a number of changes a student can make to their account or enrollment that may impact their COA. The Cost of Attendance (COA) is the total amount it will cost a student to go to college each year. The COA includes tuition and fees; on-campus housing and food (or a housing and food allowance for off-campus students); and allowances for books, course materials, supplies & equipment, transportation, loan fees, and, if applicable, dependent care. It can also include other expenses like an allowance for the rental or purchase of a personal computer, costs related to a disability, or costs for eligible study-abroad programs. Below are some of the most common actions. Students who have questions should contact our office.

Residency Status

Residency status for incoming and transfer students is determined by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the time of acceptance. Residency for continuing undergraduate students may be changed through an appeal process administered by the Dean of Students Office. Residency for graduate students is determined by the Graduate School.

Housing Status

Students who live in and pay rent for an off-campus apartment may use their financial aid to assist with living expenses. Students who live in the Hilltop or Charter Oak Apartments are considered to be living on-campus. Our office assumes that in-state dependent students who attend regional campuses are living with their parents and out-of-state students attending a regional campus are living off-campus, not with parents, unless otherwise notified.

Campus Status

Students who transfer from one campus to another are evaluated by the Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) for potential changes to their financial aid offer.  

Once your campus change has been processed, your financial aid eligibility will be recalculated to reflect the Cost of Attendance of your new campus. Your financial aid offer may be impacted by a campus change. Any possible revisions are subject to funds availability. 

Students who transfer from the Storrs campus to a regional campus are assumed by our office to live at home with a parent. If you are renting an apartment, you will be required to submit a signed copy of your rental lease.  

Enrollment Status

A student’s enrollment status (full-time/three-quarter-time/half-time/less-than-half-time) impacts the COA. For more information on how enrollment status affects COA, please navigate to the Enrollment section.