Other Types of Aid

Any funding a student receives by virtue of being a student must be reported to the Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) to be counted as a financial resource. When a student receives financial aid from Federal, State, and/or Institutional sources as well as a scholarship, the total amount of funding provided from all sources cannot exceed his/her financial need. Additional information for scholarship and fellowship processing and timelines can be found at the Faculty and Staff page.


Scholarships are merit-based or need-based monetary awards that may range from paying a portion of tuition to fully funding the costs associated with a student’s college education. Scholarships do not need to be repaid.  For more information navigate to the Scholarships Page.

The following types of funding (hereafter referred to as “scholarships”) must be reported to the OSFAS:

  • Merit
    • Merit scholarship recipients will be reviewed on an annual basis to ensure they are meeting the GPA/SAP terms and conditions of their award. If not meeting SAP and/or the GPA requirement for their specific scholarship they will be placed on merit scholarship probation for the upcoming academic year. Students will be notified of this via email and no action is required on their part. If after the year of probation, they are still not meeting the SAP/GPA requirements the award will be terminated. Students will be notified of this termination and will have the opportunity to appeal. Details on the appeal and deadline will be included in the communication to the student. If the student appeals and it is approved the award will be reinstated for the upcoming academic year. If the student does not submit an appeal or if the appeal is denied the award will not be reinstated in the future
  • Departmental
  • Third Party
  • State Scholarships, awarded by resident's home state

Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Student Employment

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a financial aid program for students who have financial need. This program funds part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students, allowing students to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Under the Work-Study program, the student is paid directly with a biweekly paycheck to help subsidize the costs of their college education. FWS jobs can be applied for by navigating to the Work-study and Student Labor Page.

Here’s how it works:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by UConn’s on-time deadline
  • Students receiving a FWS award must apply for and secure a work-study job by the published deadline
  • Must be enrolled full-time
  • Students may earn wages up to the amount listed on their financial aid offer

Note: Work-Study wages do not appear on the student’s fee bill rather; the student earns a paycheck to help pay college expenses.

Tuition Waivers

Any tuition waivers a student receives by virtue of being a student must be reported to the Office of Student Financial Aid Services to be counted as a financial resource.

Tuition waivers ONLY cover tuition; they cannot be applied to any other fees the student may incur. To receive additional information on tuition waivers visit the Bursar website.