MSDS Student Financial Aid Process
The Office of Student Financial Aid Services at the Storrs campus administers financial aid for the Master of Dental Science program students who attend classes at the UConn Health Center.
Master of Dental Science (MSDS) students who are interested in applying for federal student loans will need to complete each of the following action items:
- The 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before 6/30/21. Enter the UConn Storrs school code (001417) on the FAFSA.
- The 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Enter the UConn Storrs school code (001417) on the FAFSA.
- Register for a minimum of three credits and DENT 6000 for both the summer and fall semesters.
- Review the enrollment requirements, including the continuous registration requirement, below.
- After steps one through three are completed, you will receive an award notification via your UConn email address. You will need to login to the Student Administration System to take action on your aid offer.
- Continuing MSDS students who have already borrowed the maximum amount of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility ($20,500) for the 2020-2021 academic year (or who have reached the aggregate limit) may wish to apply for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan for the summer 2021 semester. The loan period for the summer 2021 semester is May to August 2021.
- New students who are Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan borrowers will need to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling. List the UConn Storrs school code (001417).
- If you intend to borrow a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, you will need to complete a Graduate PLUS Loan application. New students who have not applied for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan with UConn previously, will also need to complete a Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). List the UConn Storrs school code (001417).
- Graduate students who are applying for a Graduate PLUS Loan, and have no Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan eligibility remaining will also need to complete Loan Entrance Counseling.
- If you are expecting to receive a refund check for living expenses, it is advisable to sign up for direct deposit. Information on how to sign up is available here: https://bursar.uconn.edu/direct-deposit/
- When spring term 2022 registration opens, register for a minimum of three credits and DENT 6000 for the spring semester.
- When summer 2022 registration opens, register for a minimum of three credits and DENT 6000 for the summer semester. Most students will not have any Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan eligibility remaining for the 2021-2022 academic year, and may wish to complete a summer semester Graduate PLUS Loan application. The loan period will be May to August.
Student Enrollment Requirements:
MSDS students who are interested in applying for financial aid (Federal Loans or Private (Alternative) Loans) are required to register as follows:
- Minimum of three graduate credits for summer and DENT 6000
- Minimum of three graduate credits for fall and DENT 6000
- Minimum of three graduate credits for spring and DENT 6000
- All MSDS students (financial aid applicants as well as non-financial aid applicants) must register for DENT 6000 for each semester (summer, fall, and spring). DENT 6000 represents the clinical/practicum component for the certificate portion of the MSDS program. This registration requirement applies to all MSDS students even when registering for continuous registration.
- IMPORTANT: Register for your graduate level coursework first, and DENT 6000 second.
Masters of Dental Science (MSDS) students are required to register for continuous registration, (GRAD 5998 or 5999) based on their enrollment plans as follows:
- Financial Aid recipients:
- MSDS will need to register for continuous registration (GRAD 5998 or 5999) in the fall and /or spring semesters if the student will not enroll in any other credit-based graduate coursework for the Master's degree during that time. (Continuous registration is not required in the summer, although DENT 6000 is required.)
If you have any questions regarding Financial Aid, please contact Vivian Castelli, Financial Aid Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 860-486-2819.
If you have any questions regarding Registration, please contact Susan Garthwait, Administrative Program Coordinator at email@example.com, or 860- 679-2574.