Graduate Student Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid at UConn:

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who are admitted in the summer or spring semesters will need to complete the FAFSA for the current academic year 2018-2019, as well as the upcoming academic year 2019-2020. Students who are admitted in the fall 2019 semester, will need to complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA only.
  2. In order to receive summer 2019 financial aid, enroll in a minimum of 4.5 credits. If you have Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility remaining for the 2018/2019 year our office will offer it to you. Graduate students can receive up to $20,500 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds per academic year.
  • If you do not have any Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds remaining for summer, you will need to apply for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan on, using the summer loan period of May to August 2019

Next Steps:

  1. You will receive an email at your UConn email address notifying you of your financial aid award. Upon receipt of this email, access the Student Administration System to review and take action on your financial aid award, and complete all steps on the Financial Aid Action page.
  • Financial aid packages will be created based on full-time enrollment (nine or more credits). If you plan to enroll as a part-time student, your financial aid may be reduced. You may report your enrollment plans in the Student Administration (when you accept your aid offer) on the Financial Aid Action Page, or you can email our office at to notify us of your enrollment plans.
  1. If you are a first time Federal Direct Stafford loan borrower at UConn and you intend to accept your Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling on
  2. If you are a first time Federal Graduate PLUS Loan borrower at UConn and you intend to apply for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, complete a Graduate PLUS Loan Application, the Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) and the Graduate PLUS Entrance Counseling session on

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a required document used to determine a student’s eligibility for federal aid such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Work-Study, etc. Students must complete the FAFSA to be considered for UConn Grant Aid as well.

Most of the information you need to complete the FAFSA is on your federal income tax return, if one is filed. You can also import your IRS data directly into your FAFSA on the web if you have filed your income tax returns and do not owe a tax debt to the Internal Revenue Service.

Students entering UConn in the upcoming academic year should complete the FAFSA on the web at as soon as possible after October 1st. UConn’s school code is 001417.

Students who are admitted in the summer or spring semesters will need to complete the FAFSA for the current academic year (2018-2019), as well as the upcoming academic year (2019-2020).

The awarding of several forms of financial assistance is reserved for applications received and logged in by the federal processor on or before the on-time application deadline. Please note that all awards are based upon fund availability.

After you file your FAFSA, review your Student Aid Report (SAR), which will be sent to you by the federal processor. If the data on the SAR is correct, keep it for your records. If the data is incorrect, submit your changes directly to the federal processor.

If your FAFSA is rejected, make the adjustments following the instructions on the SAR. Contact our office after you receive your valid SAR.

If you do not receive a SAR within four weeks after submission, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 to determine if your application has been processed.

Types of Financial Aid

Two general types of financial aid are available for graduate students at the University of Connecticut: Financial Aid Awards based on Academic Merit and Financial Aid Awards based on financial need.

The UConn Graduate School administers financial aid awards based on academic merit for Graduate Students. Additional information is available here.

Awards Based on Academic Merit

  • Graduate Assistantships (for teaching or research)
  • University Predoctoral Fellowships
  • Dissertation Fellowships and Summer Fellowships

The Office of Student Financial Aid Services administers need-based financial aid for Graduate Students.

Need-Based Financial Aid

  • Federal Work-Study (FWS)
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans (FDSL)


Student Employment

Federal Work-Study is awarded to students as part of their financial aid package. Work-Study is a program that allows you to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. Unlike other forms of financial aid, Work-Study is not applied to your fee bill. To earn your Work-Study award, you must secure a Work-Study job. These funds are limited and are awarded based on financial need and fund availability.

Students may also apply for Student Labor positions on campus. Student’s wages are funded by the UConn department for which the student works.

Job opportunities are listed on the Student Employment website. You will receive a paycheck bi-weekly for the hours you work to spend on living expenses.

Federal Direct Loans

Details about Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are available here.


The Federal Central Processing System (CPS) selects approximately 30% of all FAFSA applications received each year for verification, a process that requires the Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) to confirm the data supplied by the applicant and/or spouse on the student’s FAFSA is accurate.

The Student Aid Report (SAR) you receive after your FAFSA has been processed will indicate whether or not your file has been selected for verification. If your application has been selected for verification, an email will be sent to your University email account alerting you to check the Student Administration System to determine what additional documentation you will be required to submit before your financial aid application will be processed.

Please respond promptly to information requests from our office, and do not submit income tax forms unless requested by us. The preferred method to send in requested documentation is via fax at 860-486-6629. Please be sure that your Student ID, and name are on all pages.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

All need-based financial aid recipients and University funded and merit scholarship recipients must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards, which are based on federal regulations.

Graduate students are required to maintain a 3.00 grade point average, and must complete 75% of the number of cumulative credit hours attempted (pace), and must complete degree requirements before attempting 200 credits (maximum time frame)  The full Satisfactory Academic Progress policy is available here.